This Advice is current for Friday, 19 November 2010.
Philippines overall: High degree of caution
Mindanao, including the Zamboanga Peninsula and the Sulu Archipelago: Do not travel
This advice has been reviewed and reissued. It contains new information in the Summary and under Safety and Security: Terrorism (reports terrorist attacks may be imminent in Manila). The overall level of the advice has not changed.
- We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in the Philippines because of the high threat of terrorist attack and the high level of serious crime.
- Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.
- Terrorist attacks could occur at anytime, anywhere in the Philippines, including in Manila.
- Reliable reports indicate that terrorist attacks may be imminent in Manila, including places frequented by foreigners such as large shopping malls and convention centres.
- We strongly advise you not to travel to Mindanao, including mainland Mindanao, the Zamboanga Peninsula and the Sulu Archipelago, due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, including kidnapping, and related counter-terrorism operations.
· Be a smart traveller. Before heading overseas:
- · organise comprehensive travel insurance and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy
- · register your travel and contact details, so we can contact you in an emergency