Monday, October 26, 2009

Strong Republic Nautical Highway


The Strong Republic Nautical Highway (SRNH) in the Philippines is an integrated set of highway segments and vehicular ferry routes which, considered in combination with other road and ferry routes not formally part of the SRNH, forms the backbone of a nationwide vehicle-accessible transport system. This system reduces the usual travel time by 17 hours to the different key cities, enhances the accessibility of the prime tourist destinations, and minimizes the handling expenses of goods, all over the country.

I hail from the Bicol region and well, perhaps 15 years ago, I didn’t really had a concrete appreciation of our ferry systems. Not until just after college (except perhaps once in HS, when I had to attend a National Secondary Schools' Press Conference in Tacloban) did I had the chance of truly discovering travel beyond the tip of Luzon, after getting engaged to my wife who hails from the south.


But local sea travel until a few years back was quite scary, and, kidding aside, I usually hold ( I have to) a ferry “pre-departure orientation training” for my wife and kids on spotting whatever onboard lifesaving appliances (at most times either padlocked, or totally amiss) during our occasional travels to the south. Just in case.


But recent developments in our ferry systems, perhaps bolstered by the renewed tourism industry, thanks in part to the SRNH, had brought about drastic changes in the standards of some of our ferry companies. Of course, not for all service providers. I was in one “fast-craft” vessel couple days back plying the Tacloban- Cebu lanes, and I have to admit, the safety and quality standards were not that bad. At least I am now spared the task of conducting my own ferry “pre-departure orientation training.”


Still, there are lots of room for improvement, safety wise, particularly for some other ferry companies who are oblivious or just straightforward blatant in not carrying out safety and operational procedures.


Happy Halloween!


CAPT BERT SANCHEZ
PMMA GS (MMET)

1 comment:

Glenn Mark Blasquez said...

yeah sir, there are room for improvement especially to the provinces..