Thursday, May 24, 2012

Early last year I was destined  to  join one of the largest  publicly traded tanker company in the world. I must say  I am a neophyte in a shipping industry.  Here, I had  the opportunity  to access the crew payroll in detail and compared it against the payslip of an  ordinary private employee.   I must say  that indeed,   being  a “seaman”  is quite a lucrative job.  They truly deserved such,  because aside from the risk associated with their work  being  with your love ones  is for me - priceless.  Well- paid as it shows, I stumbled on one benefit  that  an ordinary private employee is availing but is absent  for seamen.  This  is the  Retirement /Pension Benefit,  wherein  an employer  provides   a lump sum benefit payment to employee upon retirement.   I believe this idea is  somewhat  raw and  still need  further research, if why  seaman are not given such benefit.  But why can’t they have it, like other working employees? IPM

No comments: