Friday, March 11, 2011

POWER IN THE WORKPLACE 2

In my last post, I mentioned about three types of power in the workplace.  One that comes with role, the other with expertise and the last with relationship.  I have brooded over this and came to my humble conclusion that the last type of power, relationship power, is the most important.  

Expert power can certainly be learned, and role power, well it can come with your bloodline and if you don't have the heritage, it certainly will not come to you if you don't have relationship power.  When you have relationship power, you have the ability to influence people, and this, by far is one of the most important, if not the most important traits for a leader.  You may even have a physical effect on the people around you once you've honed your relationship power.  

I embarked my Support Group in our office to build on their relationship power.  To invest in the ability to influence people, and somehow hope, as theorized by Albert Bandura, for this to catch on with the rest of the organization.  

Edu del Agua

No comments: